Alec Baldwin: actor spotted at New York event in first public appearance since fatal film set shooting | Ents & Arts News
Alec Baldwin has been pictured hosting an event in the US which is reported to be his first public appearance since the fatal shooting of Halyna Hutchins on the Rust film set.
The incident happened when a prop gun held by Baldwin, 63, went off accidentally shooting and killing the 42-year-old cinematographer.
Director of the western, Joel Souza was also injured.
Last week, in his first TV interview since the accident, Baldwin told ABC television’s George Stephanopoulos that he did not pull the trigger.
The actor was pictured in New York city at the Robert F Kennedy Human Rights 2021 Ripple of Hope Gala, where he was the master of ceremonies.
The event looks to honour “exemplary leaders across the international business, entertainment, and activist communities”.
Prize winners have “demonstrated a commitment to social change and reflect Robert Kennedy’s passion for equality, justice, basic human rights”.
Baldwin opened with a joke saying: “My wife and I have six kids, anything to get out of the house for 30 minutes.
“We will celebrate these extraordinary honourees and we commit ourselves to what Bobby said when he announced his presidential bid: ‘Peace, justice and compassion for those who suffer, that’s what the United States should stand for.'”
Poet Amanda Gorman and Georgian Democrat Stacey Abrams were both honoured at the ceremony, with Gorman being named as one of the 2021 Ripple of Hope Laureates.
US vice president Kamala Harris attended as the keynote speaker.
This appearance follows the release of an open letter written by a number of the cast and crew in which they denied the production was a “chaotic, dangerous and exploitative workplace”.
They said the public narrative about the incident, is “inadequate” and distracts from “what matters the most” – the memory of Hutchins.
The 63-year-old actor shared the letter to his Instagram page on Wednesday with the caption: “From some of the crew of RUST.”
The letter, signed by more than 20 people, addressed the rumours saying: “It is common to work on unprofessional or hectic productions to gain experience and credits, but that Rust was not one of those.”
In response to claims staff walked off set to protest the working conditions, the letter said that conditions and wages were “fair and consistent with expectations”.