Celine Dion cancels North America tour due to ‘severe and persistent muscle spasms’ | Ents & Arts News
Celine Dion has cancelled the remaining shows of her delayed North America tour due to health issues caused by “severe and persistent” muscle spasms.
The Canadian star had completed 52 dates of her Courage world tour before the COVID-19 pandemic hit in March 2020, and had rescheduled some for March and April 2022.
However, her US and Canada gigs have now been cancelled as the 53-year-old’s recovery from treatment is “taking longer than she had hoped” and the spasms are “preventing her from performing”.
I was really hoping that I’d be good to go by now, but I suppose I just have to be more patient and follow the regimen that my doctors are prescribing. /J’espérais vraiment être prête à remonter sur scène maintenant, mais je constate que je dois être plus patiente. – Céline xx… pic.twitter.com/zNnDMBo1JR
— Celine Dion (@celinedion) January 15, 2022
In a statement, Dion said she had been hoping to be “good to go by now, but I suppose I just have to be more patient” and follow doctors’ advice.
“There’s a lot of organising and preparation that goes into our shows, and so we have to make decisions today which will affect the plans two months down the road,” she said.
“I’ll be so glad to get back to full health, as well as all of us getting past this pandemic, and I can’t wait to be back on stage again.
“Meanwhile, I’ve been very touched by all the words of encouragement that everyone’s been sending to me on social media. I feel your love and support and it means the world to me.”
Representatives for the star said her medical team would continue to evaluate and treat her condition.
In October last year, Dion announced she was delaying a Las Vegas residency due to the illness, saying she was “heartbroken”.
The good news for UK fans is that the European leg of the tour is still scheduled to go ahead, beginning on 25 May in Birmingham.