An ambush in Sydney’s south has left a 35-year-old man dead and a 23-year-old man in hospital with gunshot wounds.
The two men were entering a Mercedes in Hurstville about 11pm on Saturday when a number of shots were fired at them.
“What I can suggest is that this is clearly a targeted attack in which there’s been some degree of planning,” Det Supt Anthony Cooke said on Sunday afternoon.
It appeared the men were able to drive some way from the car park but then stopped on Macmahon Street.
Police found the two wounded men in the Mercedes. Both were taken to hospital, where the older man died. The 23-year-old is in a stable condition.
The pair were known to police.
Police ask anyone who witnessed the incident or has dashcam footage to come forward.
Cooke said significant resources were being directed towards “identifying those responsible, targeting them, and putting them before the courts”.
Police believe the weapon used was a handgun and at least one shooter was involved.
He said there was no information linking the incident to a boxing match that occurred earlier in the evening in Hurstville, or to any other events.