Ultimate magazine theme for WordPress.

Parler removed from tech firms platforms as Trump seeks out new online megaphone | Trump News

4

He has been kicked off most of the mainstream social media platforms following his supporters’ rioting at the US Capitol, but President Donald Trump is still searching for online options to reach his followers.

The far right-friendly site Parler had been the leading candidate until Google and Apple removed it from their app stores and Amazon said it would kick it off its web hosting service by midnight Pacific time on Sunday.

Image:
Donald Trump has conceded that Joe Biden will be the next US president for the first time

The two-year-old site claims it has more than 12 million users, though mobile app analytics firm Sensor Tower puts the number at 10 million worldwide, with 8 million in the US.

That’s a fraction of the 89 million followers Mr Trump had on Twitter.

Parler might be attractive to him since it is where his sons Eric and Don Jr are already active.

Many have used the forum to spread falsehoods and hateful comments.

Google removed its smartphone app from its store for allowing postings that seek “to incite ongoing violence in the US”.

Apple followed suit on Saturday evening after giving Parler 24 hours to address complaints it was being used to “plan and facilitate yet further illegal and dangerous activities”.

Public safety issues will need to be resolved before it is restored, Apple said.

Amazon’s subsequent move effectively takes the site offline unless it can find a new company to host its services.

WASHINGTON DC, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, UNITED STATES - 2021/01/06: Rioters clash with police trying to enter Capitol building through the front doors. Rioters broke windows and breached the Capitol building in an attempt to overthrow the results of the 2020 election. Police used batons and tear gas grenades to eventually disperse the crowd. Rioters used metal bars and tear gas as well against the police. (Photo by Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty Images)
Image:
Five people died in the rioting at the US Capitol, including a police officer

Parler chief executive John Matze lashed out at Amazon, Google and Apple, saying it was a co-ordinated effort knowing
Parler’s options would be limited and it would inflict the most damage right as Mr Trump was banned from other social media platforms.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Schwarzenegger likens Capitol rioters to Nazis

“There is the possibility Parler will be unavailable on internet for up to a week as we rebuild from scratch,” he said in a post on Parler.

“This was a co-ordinated attack by the tech giants to kill competition in the market place… You can expect the war on
competition and free speech to continue, but don’t count us out.”

In addition to Parler, right-leaning social media users in America have flocked to messaging app Telegram and hands-off social site Gab, citing the more aggressive policing of political comments on mainstream platforms such as Twitter and Facebook.

Mr Trump’s Twitter persona has long functioned as a mix of often out of the blue policy announcements; complaints about the media; disparagement of women, minorities and his perceived enemies; and praise for his supporters, replete with exclamation marks, all-caps, and one-word declarations such as “Sad!”

He has fired numerous officials on Twitter and his posts, like his speeches at rallies, are a torrent of misinformation.

Source

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More