Tiger Woods says he intends to play at US Masters – more than a year after serious car crash | US News
Tiger Woods has said he plans to compete in the 86th Masters Tournament this week, less than 14 months after the golfer suffered serious injuries in a horrific car crash.
The 15-time major winner, who feared shortly after the accident in February 2021 that his right leg would have to be amputated, has not contested a top-level event since the 2020 Masters, which was played in November that year.
“As of right now I feel like I am going to play,” Woods said in his pre-tournament press conference on Tuesday.
The 46-year-old, who competed in the PNC Championship with son Charlie in December, played a practice round at Augusta last week and nine holes on both Sunday and Monday.
Asked if he thought he could win a 16th major title this week, Woods said: “I do.”
Woods said he wouldn’t be able to play golf full-time “ever again” after his SUV hit a tree in Los Angeles.
Police said he had been speeding at the time, but did not take a blood sample.
He told officers he did not remember driving, let alone how the crash occurred.
Woods spent a month in hospital, undergoing surgery on his lower right leg as well as his foot and ankle.
He later predicted he would manage just one or two events per year if his rehab went well.
Woods told Golf Digest: “I think something that is realistic is playing the tour one day – never full-time, ever again – but pick and choose, just like Mr [Ben] Hogan did.
“Pick and choose a few events a year and you play around that.”
In the first picture he shared afterwards, he was on crutches, with his right leg and foot in a cast, but said his recovery was “coming along”.
Woods played only three events in the 2020-21 PGA Tour season.
His career earnings are listed at more than $120m (£86.5M).